Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Why did God become man? Teach me how to love, teach me how to live

Why did God become man?  The quickest answer we usually say is, "To die for our sins." That is true, but that's not the only reason.  (more.....)
It would do me good to remember that.

We've been taught throughout history that God became Flesh, became man, in order to die for our sins. I believe in that teaching, and have faith in it.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p122a3p1.htm
http://www.josemariaescriva.info/article/st-josemaria-why-did-the-son-of-god-become-man

This morning, while praying, I contemplated another reason: God became man, Jesus Christ was born on this earth, not only to die, but to teach us how to live.

Truly, we learned about our God of Love, God of Truth, God of Sacrifice, God of Justice, in the Old Testament. Yes, we needed our Savior to die for our sins, and thus He became Flesh.

What can we learn about Jesus' time on earth? He taught us how to live; he taught us how to love.  He taught us how to pray.  He taught us how to forgive.  He taught us how to sacrifice our lives for others.  He taught us how to spread God's Love.  The Gospels are the perfect example of how He wants us to live our lives.  The Letters following the Gospels help us to apply it in every day life.

While preparing this post today, I of course 'googled' the phrase, "why did god become man catholic".  I realized that this is taught in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and is referenced in the Bible.
458 The Word became flesh so that thus we might know God's love: "In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him."72 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."73
459 The Word became flesh to be our model of holiness: "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me." "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me."74 On the mountain of the Transfiguration, the Father commands: "Listen to him!"75 Jesus is the model for the Beatitudes and the norm of the new law: "Love one another as I have loved you."76 This love implies an effective offering of oneself, after his example.77

  •  72 1 Jn 4:9.
  • 73 Jn 3:16.
  • 74 Mt 11:29; Jn 14:6.
  • 75 Mk 9:7; cf. Dt 6:4-5. 76 Jn 15:12.
  • 77 Cf. Mk 8:34.

However, I truly believe that God placed that in my heart this morning. I cannot recall at any time in my life being taught, or knowing this,  or hearing the teaching that God became Flesh to teach us how to live, how to love.  Thank you Father for helping me to learn that, and for providing the book and answers to this 'open book test' of life.  All Praise and Glory to God! AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are currently being moderated for personal reasons. +JMJ+