Thursday, October 31, 2013

Compartmentalizing Jesus

I know a lot of people, but have just a few friends, and fewer still that probably know all sides of me: the good, bad and the ugly.  We might worry that if someone knew our 'dark' side, or our weak side, or our different side, that they might not like us anymore.  That actually might be true.  So we hide that side of ourselves, or at least, don't put it out there for display. (My house is a mess, and I sure don't go around advertising it! I can also be cranky or less than patient in certain situations or with certain people; again, I keep that under a bushel when I can.)    This probably isn't a good way to be, but that's how I am, at least right now.  I know, deep down, that if someone doesn't like me or whatever because I have a certain weakness or fault, then we probably shouldn't be close friends anyway.  But I have friends that I hang out with doing certain activities, and other friends for other activities, and still others in another activity...some might overlap into another 'circle'.

Jesus doesn't want us to compartmentalize Him.  Besides, He knows each side of us, no matter how we might try to hide it. There is no where we can go that He isn't already there, and knows us.  It's hard enough bearing ourselves to people we meet, or even people we love.  How can I lay bare my entire existence, especially my faults, sins, weaknesses, to the One who loves me more than anything possible, the same One I hurt with my sins and failings?  But whether I choose to bear my soul to Jesus or not, He already knows.  I still need to be honest with Him and with myself.  How can I grow if I don't? How can I become closer to Jesus if I don't?  He's there waiting...for ME.


John 8:34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, every one who commits sin is a slave to sin. 35 The slave does not continue in the house for ever; the son continues for ever. 36 So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are currently being moderated for personal reasons. +JMJ+